The Housing Authority of the City of Columbia, S.C.

Since 1934, the Columbia Housing Authority has been providing affordable housing to the citizens of the City of Columbia and Richland County in South Carolina. 

  • ​​It is the family's responsibility to contact this office to see if your voucher has been received.  When your portability forms have been received from the initial housing authority, you will be scheduled to attend a group briefing after you have made contact with our office
  • Please make sure your initial housing authority has transferred your paperwork before contacting our office.  The contact information is as follows:

                       COLUMBIA HOUSING AUTHORITY

                       Attn: HCV Department/Lisa Moyd

                       1917 Harden St., Columbia SC 29204

                       (803)254-3886, ext. 224, fax - (803)376-6182

                       email address: chaport@chasc.org

  • It is required that you provide birth certificates and social security cards for all family members and picture identification for everyone 18 years of age and older. Also, if you are coming from out of state, it is required that a criminal background check be conducted for all adult members of the household. 
  • You must provide written verification of all household income, childcare payments, savings and checking account statements.
  • Once the clearance is approved, the voucher and Request for Tenancy Approval forms will be issued to you at the briefing. The voucher will expire on the date your housing authority indicated on your voucher and portability paperwork.
  • When the Request for Tenancy Approval has been received and the unit is affordable, a physical inspection of the unit will be scheduled within 5 to 10 working days of receiving the form.  The Request for Tenancy form will not be accepted if there is any missing information on the form, this will cause a delay in processing.
  • After the unit passes inspection you will receive a call giving you the approval to sign the lease with the landlord. Once you sign a lease agreement, you must contact the Portability Officer for an appointment to sign other documents for the rental assistance payments to start. No rent will be paid on your behalf until all paperwork is completed. If you do not hear from the Portability Officer with three (3) business days after the unit passed inspection, please call (803)254-3886, ext. 263.
  • Most landlords in Columbia require a full month security deposit as well as a credit check; those are your responsibility.  You will be responsible for your security deposit, which could be up to one (1) month's rent.  You will also be responsible for your portion of the first month's rent and your portion going forward each month.
  • It is not unusual for a portability family to have to pay a full month's rent in addition to the security deposit in order for an owner to take the unit off the rental market.